En poursuivant votre navigation sur ce site, vous acceptez l'utilisation de cookies. Ces derniers assurent le bon fonctionnement de nos services. En savoir plus.


German Resistance Memorial Center


The above link leads to an interesting web site about the German Resistance against Hitler (see more details herebelow)


The German Resistance Memorial Center is located in the Bendler Block in Berlin’s Mitte district, at the historic site of the attempted coup of July 20, 1944. On July 20, 1952, on the initiative of relatives of the resistance fighters of July 20, 1944, Eva Olbricht, widow of General Friedrich Olbricht, laid the cornerstone for a memorial in the courtyard of the Bendler Block. July 20, 1953, Berlin's mayor Ernst Reuter unveiled the monument created by Professor Richard Scheibe, the bronze figure of a young man with his hands bound. On July 20, 1955, the former Bendlerstrasse was ceremoniously renamed “Stauffenbergstrasse.” On July 20, 1962, Berlin's mayor Franz Amrehn unveiled a plaque in the commemorative courtyard bearing the names of the officers executed there by a firing squad on July 20, 1944.

On the initiative of the circle of resistance fighters of July 20, 1944, the Berlin Senate in 1967 resolved to establish a memorial and educational center intended to inform the public about resistance to National Socialism. The permanent exhibition developed under the direction of historian Friedrich Zipfel was then opened on July 20, 1968. In 1979, the parties in Berlin's state parliament reached agreement on the proposal to expand the memorial and educational center. In 1980, the commemorative courtyard was remodeled according to a design by Professor Erich Reusch. The following inscription was engraved in the wall of the entrance to the commemorative courtyard:

“Here in the former Army High Command, Germans organized the attempt to overthrow the lawless National Socialist regime on July 20, 1944. For this they sacrificed their lives.”

In 1983, Berlin's mayor Richard von Weizsäcker commissioned historian Professor Peter Steinbach and Stuttgart designer Professor Hans Peter Hoch to create a permanent exhibition comprehensively depicting and documenting the entire broad and varied spectrum of German resistance to National Socialism. This exhibition was opened on July 20, 1989, in the historic rooms of the attempted coup of July 20, 1944, on the second floor of the Bendler Block in the wing of the building on Stauffenbergstrasse. More than 5,000 photographs and documents present examples of the motives, actions, and goals of individuals, groups, and organizations involved in resistance to National Socialism.

The wing of the building complex along the Landwehrkanal has been the Berlin office of the German Federal Ministry of Defense since 1993. Since 1992, the German Resistance Memorial Center has expanded beyond the commemorative courtyard and the permanent exhibition and has acquired further space for temporary exhibitions in the first upper floor on Stauffenbergstrasse.

21:56 Publié dans Histoire | Lien permanent | Commentaires (0)